First of all, existing members are not affected in any way. The Premium service will continue as it is. The only change is in the registration process.
For those who are not a member yet but are considering, the following is of relevance:
- Sometime this year, I will stop accepting new members. This was never meant to be a mass newsletter service and it is not. Lately, I have been turning down some potential new members when I feel their investment goals are not in line with the way I invest or their investment horizon is not long enough.
- Starting tomorrow (Saturday, Feb 22, 2014), I will introduce a questionnaire in the sign up process regarding investment goals and perhaps a few other things. Once you fill it out, an invitation to join will be extended to you if we both feel we are a good fit for each other. The direct registration page link will be removed.
- Referrals from current members will be given a priority.
- Since I have been asked this a few times now after my initial blurb about the new membership closure, yes, you can join as a yearly/annual subscriber now and you will be able to renew for another year next year even if I have stopped taking new members. Existing members are not affected and your upgrade privileges to Lifetime continue as well.
Why Am I Doing This?
There are a few reasons.
– First, there is a natural limit to how many investment dollars I can allow to chase my ideas before everyone’s returns are diluted. When we find a great undervalued stock, often times we like to build our positions over time which will not be feasible if the undervaluation quickly erodes. Any value investing site that does not have a closure policy is likely not invested in their own picks like I am, and is not worth your time.
– Second, marketing and administration takes away my focus from investing and I do not like that.
– Third, I do not want this to turn into a commodity newsletter site like Motley Fool or Jim Cramer’s offerings. I am sure they do a great job of what they are doing. All my stocks are hand picked and considerable thought and diligence goes into each one of them. There is a place for recommendation factories that tout 50% or 70% or similar win ratio, and there is a separate niche for us that go for a 100%.
Finally, I have not yet decided exactly when I will stop accepting new members, but it is for certain sometime before Dec 31, 2014. If too many new members sign up too quick, then the closure will come sooner.
If You are Not Interested in Joining Premium …
My focus is decidedly turning towards serving the Premium members. You can continue to visit the site to read the new articles that are released publicly. If you are subscribed to the free newsletter, you will continue to receive them. I have stopped adding new subscribers (or re-subscribers) to the free newsletter about a week ago. I have also removed the social share buttons and a few other things to make the site clutter free for the regular readers.
Any questions or comments, feel free to comment below or send me an email.