Federal shutdown enters its 24th day. We are now in uncharted waters. Will this be the push to plunge the US economy into recession?
Here is what I am reading today:
1. Margin of Safety Saves the Day in a DCF Valuation of Harley-Davidson – A cautionary tale from Old School Value blog on why you should always pay attention to the margin of safety available to you when you are considering making an investment in a stock. Cheap is not always value.
2. The Tooth Fairy Set To Visit Danaher In Second Half Of 2019 – Stock Spinoffs reports Danaher is spinning off its dental division later this year. Spinoffs and special situations create value opportunities, so this is definitely worth a watch.
3. 10 Ways To Know You Are Competent to DIY Your Investments – The good doctor lists 10 ways to know you are competent to invest by yourself. All good reasons, but I will add another: You learn to avoid bringing emotions in your decisions. Think of the market as someone you are negotiating with. If the market offers you a good deal, take it. If the market offers you a good price, sell to it.
4. What is the right amount of attention for Wall Street to pay Donald Trump? – Josh Brown from The Reformed Broker opines on whether we should pay attention to Donald Trump. For value investors, this should not be a question.
5. Andy Brough Long Sports Direct: Sohn London Conference – MarketFolly’s notes from the Sohn conference reveal Andy Brought from Schroder Investment Management is long Sports Direct. Sports Direct came to my attention couple of years ago as it made moves to expand to the US sports retail market.
Stay warm out there!