January completes a remarkable month for the Value Stock Guide portfolio, and this is a great time to update my readers with certain highlights. To recap, as of Jan 31, 2012, the Value Stock Guide portfolio performance compared to S&P 500 are as follows:
|As of Jan 31, 2012||VSG Portfolio||S&P500|
|Last 3 months||16.06%||4.76%|
|Since Inception, Annualized (Jul 23, 2009)||29.27%||0.68%|
You can review the current portfolio in detail as well. If you are a premium member, you can sign in to view the restricted data fields. The performance table is always viewable on the sidebar from any page on the site.
- The best performing stock in the portfolio is up 97% in 5 months since purchase
- The next best performing stock in the portfolio is up 78% in 2.5 months since purchase
- The worst performing stock is down 7.24% since purchase a little less than 4 months ago
- I sold XRTX in January for a gain of 29.94%, which does not include dividends. The stock was initially purchased in Jun for a holding period of 7 months.
- I purchased 2 new stocks in January. Both these stocks are down marginally or almost flat. Together, they make up about 15% of the total portfolio
Expectations for February
While it is tough to forecast for the future, I do expect to harvest gains in at least 1 stock and reduce my exposure to another. This will generate additional capital to start positions in 2-3 new stocks that I am contemplating. I will be posting my recommendations for these stocks for the members shortly, so stay tuned.
The economic situation is improving at a rapid pace domestically in US and the solution to the Greece problem is within sight as well. This will mean that investors will return back to the stock market in large numbers due to increased confidence as well as increased investment capital as the job market continues to improve. Now is the time to invest and stay invested to maximize your gains in the coming months.
If you are not a member, you can quickly sign up to receive my Premium stock picks and other benefits of the membership, either as a monthly member or with an annual membership that will give you 4 months of membership for free.